[wpkg-users] Strict depend/chain checks or conflicts on 1.3.1?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jun 19 21:33:37 CEST 2014

Hi Marco,

On 19.06.2014 18:24, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Rainer Meier
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> WPKG will in your case obviously first apply the libreoffice-help-it
>> package which is very likely directly assigned in profile.
>
> Ahem, no, in profile i set only:
>
> 	<package package-id="libreoffice" />
>
> So i suppose thatm, because 'libreoffice' chain 'libreoffice-help-it'
> and 'libreoffice-help-it' depend on 'libreoffice', there's no
> circularity.

There is. Chains are processed before the package installation is finished
(since chained packages are part of the package installation which executes the
chain). So therefore it still leads to circular dependency.

But in your log I see clearly that the execution starts at libreoffice-help-it
and not at libreoffice. So the execution goes exactly as I described:
-> libreoffice-help-it -> libreoffice -> libreoffice-help-it

> Probably i've missed that:
>
>> (well, actually it's in the middle of it but WPKG would enter
>> vicious circle now entering installation of libreoffice-help-it
>> again).
>
> so, if i've understood well, 'chain' mean that i install BEFORE
> (or AT THE SAME TIME) 'libreoffice-help-it'. Right?

Chain means the package which is chained is executed right after all commands of
the package which specifies the chain. But since exit status of chained/depends
packages is evaluated to the package which specifies the chain is NOT finished
until all chains/depends/includes are finished.

So in your case libreoffice will chain libreoffice-help-it and therefore after
executing all libreoffice commands it will start execution of
libreoffice-help-it. This will take place before libreoffice package is finally
terminated since libreoffice needs to know the success state of
chains/depends/includes in order to know the success state of libreoffice.

>> The result at the end is a completely updated system including
>> libreoffice and libreoffice-help-it packages. Even though an error
>> is reported due to internal dependency cycle.
>
> Yes, i've not run two time WPKG to keep log, and after posting that
> message i've found that effectively, all installation goes well.

I think on next WPKG run you won't have an error printed any more since all
packages are updated successfully. The algorithm of WPKG just prevents loops and
in your case even with circular dependency everything installs fine.