[wpkg-users] Strict depend/chain checks or conflicts on 1.3.1?

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jun 23 14:59:27 CEST 2014

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Well, 'include' is again another thing. There are 3 types of
> "inclusions" as written on the wiki page. Only 'depends' will really
> define a hard dependency. Chaining will ensure a certain order on
> initial installation and include will just drag another package into
> the profile.

Concise, clear. ;-)

> I would rather say there IS actually a strict dependency between LO
> and the hep package as the installation of the help package will
> likely fail without LO being installed.
> So in fact the help package depends on LO.

Ah. Could be, i don't rememeber and now i've no time to test that... i
remember only a trouble with GIMP i've hit, eg the uninst000 and
uninst001 that get mixed if not defined a strict dependency... or was
some other program? Boh...

> However I think there isn't much use of specifying the help package
> as a chain in the LO main package since different machines/profiles
> should perhaps get different help languages assigned.
> Also it's fully legitimate just to deploy plain LO package without
> any language-specific help package.

It is true. But in an italian environment, it is very common to have
machines with all the same stuff (and, normally, italian language ;) and
then optionally some other stuff/language.

So, i insist, could be also a feasable alternative to have libreoffice
include libreoffice-help-it but with a little higher priority? eg,
something like:

 <package
	id="libreoffice"
	[...]
        priority="55">
        <depends package-id="jre" />
        <include package-id="libreoffice-help-it" />
 [...]

 <package
        id="libreoffice-help-it"
	[...]
        priority="50">
        <depends package-id="libreoffice" />
 [...]

with this, i think i can achieve the same effect (eg: force the
installation of 'libreoffice-help-it' within 'libreoffice', and make
sure 'libreoffice' will be installer before 'libreoffice-help-it'),
right?

Or i'm missing something?

> Then only assign 'libreofice-<lang>' to the profile depending on
> machine needs.

You're right, but in practice, because i'm not the only one that modify
'profiles.xml', i've discovered that adding packages like that tend to
''confuse'' my collegues, so i prefere to add package as clear as
possible.

Thanks.

  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                    http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php