[wpkg-users] Strict depend/chain checks or conflicts on 1.3.1?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jun 24 20:52:13 CEST 2014

Hi Marco,

On 24.06.2014 16:48, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Ahem, ops, clearly my example was wrong... ops... if the priority of
> 'libreoffice' is '50', the priority of 'libreoffice-help-it' have to be
> '45' (LOWER then 50) to have 'libreoffice-help-it' install AFTER
> 'libreoffice', sorry for the typo.

I didn't even verify this part as the descriptive text was quite clear and of
course priority is important then.

>> Although there is absolutely no dependency check. So in case
>
> Effectively it is not needed; 'libreoffice' does not depend on
> 'libreoffice-help-it'.

Yes, but the point is that there is no check, if one of them fails they will
fail independently.

> ?! 'libreoffice-help-it' depends on 'libreoffice', so i think i don't need
> more checks... depend will suffice... right?

Yes in this case libreoffice-help-it package should fail if libreoffice is not
installed yet. Though I personally recommend either to use dependencies or use
include and/or chain. As you mix them you might end up in inclusion-loop. Though
with "include" this is less likely to happen.

Short answer is: Your proposal is supposed to work.

I still do not recommend to use include of libreoffice-help-it in libreoffice
base package since I would expect in the future to have some more
libreoffice-help-<lang> package and having an include in the base libreoffice
package already pre-selects the optional packages. So unless you plan to have a
specific libreoffice package with specific includes for each use-case it would
be more helpful to just add those specific packages (like
libreofice-help-<lang>) to the profiles and let WPKG handle the automatic
inclusion of libreoffice.
So there might be some libreoffice-<module> packages, all depending on the base
libreoffice pakcage and the profile just needs to specify any
libreoffice-<module> package (one or multiple) and libreoffice gets installed
automatically. Moreover after removing all packages depending on libreoffice
package WPKG would also automatically clean up the system. But as you explained
you seem to be more worried about your workmates not getting the point.

So it's up to you how to handle it.