[wpkg-users] Behaviour of chained packages

Dafydd Jones (techneg.it) dafydd at techneg.it
Wed Mar 26 18:01:59 CET 2014

On 25 March 2014 18:52, Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> wrote:

> Hi Dafydd,
>

> On 25.03.2014 18:33, Dafydd Jones (techneg.it) wrote:
>
>> Is there something I'm missing about chained dependencies?
>>

> Chain is no hard dependency. So during synchronization a chain statement
> will just pull the chained package into profiletree and install it in order
> of priority. If you need dependencies, then specify a dependency, or make
> sure chained packages have lower priority than the package which needs to
> be installed first.
>
> br,
> Rainer

Thanks Rainer, that explains a lot. The documentation now seems to clarify
this, compared to the last time I looked.

However, the documentation still suggests that a chained package is
installed *directly after *the chaining package unless certain conditions
apply - none of which apply in my case.

Also, what, then, is the functional difference between *chaining* and
*including* a package?

Cheers,
Dafydd