[wpkg-users] Still confused about Pro & Cons of WPKG-Client, WPKG-GP-Client and Startup-Script

Jon Rhoades jrhoades at svi.edu.au
Fri Nov 21 12:01:37 CET 2014

Hi Manfred,

The original WPKG client was fine for Windows XP, when it could hook into Windows startup. Running WPKG directly via a script works in conjunction with something else eg AD, but as you said provides little user interaction.

The latest WPKG-GP is great as it gives your user some idea of how long the installations/updates will take. Also it handles all of the mounting the network share and using an admin account for you along with time outs in case of network failure (eg an offsite laptop). Unless you have very specific needs, WPKG-GP is the way to go.

Cheers Jon

--
Jon Rhoades
Research Information Systems