[wpkg-users] Still confused about Pro & Cons of WPKG-Client, WPKG-GP-Client and Startup-Script

manfred at hoffmaenner.net manfred at hoffmaenner.net
Fri Nov 21 13:16:53 CET 2014

Jon Rhoades wrote(21.11.2014 12:01)
> The original WPKG client was fine for Windows XP, when it could hook into Windows startup.
> ... / ...
> Unless you have very specific needs, WPKG-GP is the way to go.

Hi Jon, thanks for that advice ... but then I have a small problem, because currently the WPKG-GP-files cannot be downloaded, because Google claims they contain a virus as desctibed here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wpkg-gp/zWMXGgkczNs

Would anybody be willing and able to provide the current version of the WPKG-GP-Client?(both 32 and 64 Bit)
Otherwise I'll just wait until that issue will be solved.

Marco Gaiarin wrote (21.11.2014 12:25)
>> needs, WPKG-GP is the way to go.
>
> I can confirm that. I'm only using a little feature of cscript
> interpreter, eg in wpkg-gp.ini (the same apply for the GPO) i've put:
> ... / ...
> there's no 'corner cases' or stalls possibe, on next run wpkg will
> continue practically where was stopped.
Hi Marco,
that sounds like a good tip ... I'll give that a shot as soon as I can get a hold of the WPKG-GP-Client ;-)

Adam Thorn wrote (21.11.2014 12:05)
> Our rather hacky solution is to call (via group policy shutdown script)
> a powershell script that runs runs "wpkg.js /synchronize /dryrun" and
> parses the output to determine what actions wpkg is going to run. We
> then pop up a dialog box which says something like...
> ... / ...
> I'll try to dig out a copy of our scripts, but I'm
> having trouble finding them right at this moment..
Hi Adam,
that also sounds like a great idea ... but it also implies that you decided not to use the WPKG-GP-Client?!
Could you try to explain, what lead to that decision?

Thanks for all your answers so far,
Manfred.

P.S.: Sorry if I had been supposed to answer to every single of your answers in a separate mail to the list. I've been around the net for so long now, but this is actually my first time in a mailing-list. ( Shame on me :D )