[wpkg-users] Virtual package?

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Oct 31 08:58:28 CET 2014

> There's some way to build a ''virtual'' package 'libreoffice' that
> depend on 'libreoffice-still' *OR* 'libreoffice-fresh', so i can set my
> dependency to 'libreoffice' and install my preferred version?

AFAIK DPKG doesn't have "real" virtual packages. It's just an empty
package that just contains metadata (depends, recommends, suggests...)

You can kinda do this with WPKG too - just be aware that dependencies in
WPKG are always hard and not versioned (if you change a 'depend' without
bumping the revision, WPKG will pick it up anyway).

I'm not sure if <depend> can be made conditional (with included
<condition>) - but if it does then you might be able to cook some soft
dependencies out of this.