[wpkg-users] How to deploy patches to a software, which is already installed?

Holger Kröber kroeber at biom.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 10 16:42:46 CET 2015

Hi wpkg-community,

i´am new to wpkg and struggling with a problem for a few days now, so i
decided to post this question.

We have a couple of computer pools (~100 PCs). We have deployed a
Windows 7 image (fat image, software
already included, but was not installed with wpkg) to those PCs. Now we
want do deploy multiple updates (.msp-Updates, let´s call
them "Patch1", "Patch2", ...) for one application, let´s call it "App
1.1" (actually it´s ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2).
So "App 1.1" is already installed and since it´s a big installation, we
do not want a reinstallation.
What we want is:

 1. Check, if "App 1.1" is installed. If not, don´´t even try to install
    "Patch1" and so far to avoid errors (one some computers, "App 1.2"
    or  "App 1.3" might be installed)
    If yes, go to point 2.
 2. Check, if "Patch1", "Patch2", etc. is already installed for "App
    1.1". If yes, do nothing, else install the patch(es).

With wpkg it´s easy to either check point 1 or point 2, but i don´t know
how to check point 1 in combination with point 2. I already tried some
<check>-combinations.
Is it ok, to put all the patches in one package or is it better to
create a package for every patch (i would prefer one big package, since
there are >10 patches)?

I guess, this only works, when i create separate packages for each patch:

     <package
         id="App 1.1 Patch1"
         name="Patch1 for App 1.1"
         revision="2"
         reboot="false"
         priority="1">

         <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Patch 1.1" />
         <commands>
             <command type="install" cmd='msiexec /p
"\\10.10.10.10\deploy$\Patch1.msp" /passive'>
                 <exit code="0" />
                 <condition>
                        <check type="uninstall" condition="exists"
path="App 1.1" />
                 </condition>

              </command>
         </commands>
     </package>

Or should i work with package dependencies? E.g. create one package for
App 1.1 with no installation instructions, only the <check
type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="App 1.1" /> condition. The
patch packages then depend on this package. But this might throw errors,
if on one computer App 1.1 i s not installed?

Thank you,
H. Kröber