[wpkg-users] Determine profile based on hardware quirks?

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Fri Jan 16 15:12:19 CET 2015

On 15-01-15 11:17 AM, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> To be explicit: i'm preparing a set of recipe for SSD disks, with the
> literature stuff: disable search, defrag, ...
>

> There's some way to:
>
> 1) determine automagically if a windows box have an ssd disk
>
> 2) put the box on a profile based on that info.
>

> Thanks. ;)

Hi Marco,

   Here is link that might help. You might not have to do as much as you
think.  Enjoy!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

------
Windows 7 Optimizations and Default Behavior Summary

As noted above, all of today’s SSDs have considerable work to do when
presented with disk writes and disk flushes. Windows 7 tends to perform
well on today’s SSDs, in part, because we made many engineering changes
to reduce the frequency of writes and flushes. This benefits traditional
HDDs as well, but is particularly helpful on today’s SSDs.

Windows 7 will disable disk defragmentation on SSD system drives.
Because SSDs perform extremely well on random read operations,
defragmenting files isn’t helpful enough to warrant the added disk
writing defragmentation produces. The FAQ section below has some
additional details.

Be default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as
boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read,
random write and flush performance. These technologies were all designed
to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read
performance could easily be a major bottleneck. See the FAQ section for
more details.

Since SSDs tend to perform at their best when the operating system’s
partitions are created with the SSD’s alignment needs in mind, all of
the partition-creating tools in Windows 7 place newly created partitions
with the appropriate alignment.
------

Paul