[wpkg-users] WPKG vs OCS

Nicolas Briche nbriche at free.fr
Tue Mar 10 19:41:12 CET 2015

Hi,

Le 2015-03-10 18:28, Carlos Gomes - STI Unesp Franca a écrit :
> Sorry Nicolas, I didnt understand, have you managed to install the
> wpkg client via fusioninventory deployment inside glpi?

I don't really use a WPKG client for regular use, I just run the wpkg
script directly from the network.

As an example, my package definition for Flash Player looks like this in
the FusionInventory plugin for GLPI:

Audits:
   None

Files:
   None

Actions:
   Command to execute: cscript //NoLogo
\\srv-files1\installs$\wpkg\wpkg.js /upgrade:flashplayer /quitonerror
   return codes saved for this command : Return code is equal to 0

 From there, still in the FusionInventory plugin, I define a dynamic
group of computers named "Obsolete: Flash Player" with the criteria:
"Status is 'In production' AND Software name contains 'Flash player' AND
Software Version Status is 'Obsolete'".  I now have all computer clients
in production with Flash installed, and with a version I decide is
obsolete.  I decide this by going in GLPI's software list, choosing any
Flash software ('Adobe Flash Player 15 ActiveX', 'Adobe Flash Player 16
NPAPI', etc), and setting any version I want (15.0.0.239, 15.0.0.246,
etc) to a status 'Obsolete'.

Then I set up a deployment task, with the Flash Player package as
target, and the "Obsolete: Flash Player" computer group as actor.

Now, whenever the FusionInventory client reports to GLPI, if GLPI
decides that it belongs to the "Obsolete: Flash Player" group, it will
run the deployment package, which is the WPKG command to install Flash.
If the deployment fails, the /quitonerror and return code allow the FI
plugin to be aware of it and it gets the error message, and it shows in
my dashboard's list of failures.  The deployment will be retried
everytime the FusionInventory reports, until the package succeeds (since
it won't belong to the target group anymore).

In the end, whenever there's a new Flash update, I only have to update
the WPKG package, and then mark the old versions of Flash as obsolete in
GLPI (if I decide to).  Everything else is automated.

I use that method for Flash, Adobe, Firefox, Java, the FusionInventory
client itself, some specialized software, and a few configuration
packages (where the package is basically file transferts and/or
regedits, for which I'm too lazy to set up GPOs).

The method probably works just as well in OCS, but I haven't had an OCS
setup in about six years (I think?), so, yeah.

Now as far as WPKG clients go, all my machines also have WPKG-GP
installed; but it only runs if the machine belongs to either the
'Reserve' or 'New clients' OUs in AD (by GPO).  That allows me to force
any machine I haven't yet deployed to easily be up-to-date, just by
turning them on.  For everyone else, a full WPKG sync at every startup
would be overkill (and force me to maintain way too many WPKG profiles).

If you mean the basic WPKG client (currently v1.3.14), there's no reason
to think that installing it with that method wouldn't work just as well.