[wpkg-users] Stop creation of fake users at wpkg.org

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon May 4 18:32:58 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-01 19:20, Stefan Pendl wrote:
> It would be nice to have the creation of fake users stopped at
> wpkg.org
>
>  After the animal CAPTCHA has been removed about 15 users register at
> wpkg.org daily, but they all are not real users, they are Spam bots.
>
>  reCAPTCHA is not secure, since it has been spoofed many times.
>
>  Is there something like a question and answer CAPTCHA that could be
> used with specific questions known to users of WPKG?

Hi,

I'm not sure how to solve it. Animal captcha was working fine I think,
but was using an external API from a company which no longer provides
it.

For now, we're only allowing edits by logged in users with a confirmed
email address.

Also, we automatically remove any users which don't have any edits and
were created more than a week ago.

So while I can see that there are many "spammy users" created, the only
annoyance seem to be spamming the http://wpkg.org/Special:RecentChanges
page.

That said - I'll try to check if there is any possibility to prevent
user creation if they don't supply an email address.