[wpkg-users] Disable firefox/thunderbird update for non-admin users

Malte Starostik wpkg at xodtsoq.de
Wed Oct 7 10:26:31 CEST 2015

Hello Holger,

Disabling updates boils down to
lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
in mozilla.cfg.  That file is pretty handy to configure quite some settings in
general.  Messing with the user profile is a complete mess - users can create /
delete / move profiles and change settings in there any time.  In mozilla.cfg
you can choose between lockPref() to force a setting on the users and
defaultPref() to provide default values unless and until the users change the
respective setting.

To activate mozilla.cfg:
* Create a file called mozilla.cfg :-) and have WPKG install it to the firefox
installation directory
* Create a file called something.js and have WPKG install it to
browser\defaults\preferences\ below the firefox installation directory

something.js is to contain:
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);

The former makes firefox look for mozilla.cfg and the latter disables the
default ROT13-encoding - it's security by obscurity only anyway.

mozilla.cfg MUST begin with a line containing only "//" (without the quotes)
and can then use defaultPref(name, value); and lockPref(name, value);
see also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locking_preferences

We do have some more customisation in place to force some add ons and
blacklist others etc. but that's too much for now.

Regards,
Malte