[wpkg-users] configuration and change management (ccm) with wpkg: how?

Holger Kröber kroeber at biom.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Oct 20 10:35:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

often, after you´ve deployed a package some changes or modifications are
required for this package.
E.g. you have to (re-)configure the proxy settings for firefox etc.
I think that most of you implement change and config managment (ccm)
directly inside the package of the application itself.
But what happens, if you already deployed the package and then you have
to configure some settings for this package later?
The way wpkg works, you would have to modify the app package, add some
check conditions (e.g. with firefox: check file
exists mozilla.cfg etc), increase the revision number and....accept that
wpkg will reinstall your complete application/package
and not just only makes the desired configuration changes. Maybe it´s ok
for you with a small package like firefox - but there also exists big
software.

So i am searching for a way to avoid a reinstallation of a already
installed package while deploying new settings for this package.
My first thought was to outsource the ccm into a new package
(firefox_ccm) and then chain this package to the app package (firefox-esr).
This will work if the app package is installed for the first time. If i
later update the ccm package (because i have to deploy new settings) and
increase the revision number for both packages and then call the app
package, the chained ccm package will be ignored.
I use precheck-upgrade="always" in my packages - if i remove this line
the chained package will not be ignored - but than i will have
again the problem that the complete application reinstalls. So i guess
that chained packages only work in install-mode, not in upgrade-mode
when using precheck-upgrade="always". Maybe i have to use a different
approach...

How you guys manage ccm in your environment? Got some tips for me?

Thanks,
Holger