[wpkg-users] User GUI for WPKG-GP

Nils Thiele it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de
Tue Aug 9 12:47:41 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have written a small GUI for WPKG-GP which allows normal Users to
upgrade their System. The Programm resides in the System Tray and can
inform users of pending updates and if choosen run the wpkg-gp
background service to upgrade their system with a small progress bar and
option to view log (Windows System Logs get filtered) after the process
is done. It is tested and works on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10.

For updates notifications it uses a special xml file that will be
downloaded in a selectable interval and only includes the package ids
and versions, which then will be compared to the local wpkg.xml. i have
a small tool which will generate these quickly, even with nested
variables for the revision value.

I have also added a few more features like automatic shutdown after
upgrades and VPN detection (Cisco AnyConnect Client), im currently in
the process of writing a documentation for every option and feature.

I also needed to modify WPKG-GP a bit and added an option to Execute
WPKG without rebooting even if a forced reboot is configured in the
wpkg-gp ini file (I still want those reboots if wpkg is run at startup).
Another Addition i made was integrating a blacklist that will be checked
before executing and allows you to block a specific client.  This allows
you to easily disable wpkg remotely even if wpkg-gp is applied through
local GPOs (like in our department).

The program is written in python/wxpython and i dont mind sharing the
source code but because it uses snippets from other projects (like
wpkg-gp) i have to sort out some licensing stuff before releasing this
officially.

It is also only available in german language right now but if there is
demand for something like this i would implemented english as well as
some language file system for further modifications. There is no built
installer yet either.

If anyone is intrested in trying i can supply a compiled version and the
source code. Any feedback would be helpfull.

Greetings,

Nils

--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Email: it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de