[wpkg-users] Thunderbird and Lightning: Problems after upgrading to new version

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Wed Jan 13 18:50:18 CET 2016

I'd have to agree with Marco on this one.

When installed to "distributions/extensions", the extensions are then
directly copied to the user profile upon launch
(/%Appdata%/Tbird/profiles/xx/extensions), which is essentially the same as
the local user manually installing it.  If I recall, those problems
reported on tb-enterprise were directly related to this system-copy process
overwriting the user's extensions.

Another thing to consider is that "distributions/extensions" went away on
FF40, so we don't know if TB will still respect this path if/when the next
ESR is rebased.

So, it's probably best to simply copy the extension from
"distribution/extensions" to "extensions" as part of the install process --
especially since 38.5.1 shipped with Lightning 4.0.5.1, which wasn't
released as standalone.

More reading, that I'm sure you've already seen:

https://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/09/integrating-add-ons-into-firefox/
https://mike.kaply.com/2015/05/19/distributionbundles-directory-gone-in-firefox-40/

And just for kicks ... I uninstalled my copy of Lightning 4.0.5.1 from TB
38.5.1 via Add-ons Manager, which removed the extension from %APPDATA%.
This then reverted to my older (standalone-system) installation of
Lightning 4.0.4.1, which resides in %ProgramFiles%/Mozilla
Thunderbird/extensions.  Obviously, I also have some things to fix.

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net