[wpkg-users] chained packages are ignored. Bug in wpkg?

Holger Kröber kroeber at biom.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 3 14:43:32 CEST 2016

Hello,

i would like to use the chaining feature of wpkg, so if i install
package A, package B will also be installed.
This works for me if i run package A for the first time (install mode).
But if i run it again, e.g. after making
some changes and increasing the version number, package B is ignored and
no longer chained to package A
(even if i also change the version number of package B).
Maybe this is because the package is then running in upgrade mode and i
use precheck-upgrade="always" in all of my packages.
Also see here: https://marc.info/?l=wpkg-users&m=132982313114127
In my opinion, the precheck-upgrade option makes absolutely sense, so i
want to keep using this option.
At the same time i want to use the chaining feature, but it seems, that
there is a conflict.
Do i have to change the script code of wpkg or is there any other
solution? Is it a bug or is this behavior wanted?

    wpkg.js, line 5399 to 5482. maybe also line 5680

    this part is to find in "case install", but not in "case upgrade"
    // install all chained packages
                         var chainedSuccess =
    installPackageReferences(packageNode, "chained");
                         if (chainedSuccess) {
                             info(packageMessage +
                                  "Package and all chained packages are
    already installed. Skipping.");

                         } else {
                             info(packageMessage +
                             "Installed but at least one chained package
    is missing.");
                         }

Regards,
Holger