[wpkg-users] User GUI for WPKG-GP

Nils Thiele it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Sep 9 11:07:24 CEST 2016

Hey Heiko,

My fork is based on the latest git version so it should be 0.18b1, but i
think you figured that out allready.

Regarding the generated update xml:

We have quite the uniform structure regarding os and software in our
organisation so i didnt really thought about this problem. I had the
idea you mentioned (using wpkg to query the updates) before but i
ditched it because i didnt wanted to mess with wpkg-gp in any way when i
started the project.
Since i ended up creating my own fork anyway this is a good idea and it
would also fix the problem of not being able to query newly installed
packages, tho i wonder how big the impact on the wpkg server would be if
you do this i alot (im not an expert on this topic).

I will definatly look into this but it will take a bit longer since i
have to mess more with other peoples code :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,
Nils

Am 09.09.2016 um 09:50 schrieb heiko.helmle at horiba.com:
> Hello again,
>

> nevermind my previous question, i actually
> found it myself.
>

> I really like the little tray gui. A
> few questions on the approach:
>

> Using a special XML with just the version
> brings a few little problems:
>

> * it ignores changes to profiles and
> hosts
>
> * it ignores any changes that actually
> depend on advanced mechanisms of package matching (architecture,
> dependencies,
> extended matches) that may change in updated packages.
>

> what would you think of - instead of
> generating a special file and parsing that - just leave the package
> matching
> mechanics up to wpkg.js - that would mean:
>

> * modifying wpkg-gp to be able to execute
> wpkg.js in Query-Mode (for example 'cscript /NoLogo /E:Jscript
> !SCRIPTPATH!
> /synchronize /query:uI' will output a list of all packages wpkg will
> update
> or install on the next run - this is the statement i use on my little
> wpkg-notification
> batchfile)
>
> * then communicate that list to wpkg-gp-client
> to display it.
>
> * bonus points if the resulting list
> could be filtered for packages you don't want the user to be nagged with.
>

> That way you eliminated the need for
> a special file and the extra step of generating it. And you don't have
> to maintain the logic for determining the update list because wpkg.js
> already
> does that anyway.
>

> And you still wouldn't need user permissions
> on the wpkg share because wpkg-gp is doing the query.
>

> What's you opinion?
>

> Best Regards
>
>  Heiko
>

> From:
> heiko.helmle at horiba.com
>
> To:
> Nils Thiele <it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de>
>
> Cc:
> "wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org"
> <wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org>
>
> Date:
> 09.09.2016 08:59

> Re: [wpkg-users]
> User GUI for WPKG-GP
>
> Sent by:
> "wpkg-users"
> <wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org>

> Hello Nils,
>

> just a stupid question: Did you merge the bugfixes that went into
> wpkg-gp-18b1
> into your fork? there were two fixes, one was kinda important...
>

> I'm asking because i'm obviously not capable of reading github properly
> :)
>

> Best Regards
>

> Heiko
>

> From: Nils
> Thiele <it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de>
>
> To: "wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org"
> <wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org>
>
> Date: 07.09.2016
> 14:36

> [...]

IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Flügelbau West, R. 204
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg