[wpkg-users] Best way to deal with depends you want to keep installed?

groups at daooze.de groups at daooze.de
Thu Sep 29 23:02:00 CEST 2016

Am 28.09.2016 um 13:24 schrieb Nils Thiele:
> Hey,
>
> i was wondering what is the best way to deal packages that were
> installed by another one using the depend tag but you want to keep them
> installed when you remove the original one.
>
> I have a program that depends on .Net 4.5.2, at the time i created the
> package this version wasn't pushed through windows updates to all
> clients yet. My .Net package has several registry checks to for all
> kinds of updated .Net versions.
>
> Now when i want to remove the original program it will try to remove
> .Net as well as its not registered to that system anymore but i don't
> want to do this of course, maybe even impossible on more modern Windows
> versions.
>
> I have no uninstall command for the .Net package but it will always
> return with an error because wpkg detects it as still installed because
> of the registry checks.
>
> I could of course add .Net to all those systems as seperate package but
> is there another solution? That would wpkg happily remove the package
> and trick it so it thinks it is successfully removed without breaking
> the package for others system that may not have .Net installed yet?
>
> Thanks for any tips!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Nils

Hi.

I was thinking about that problem some time ago. My solution was to add
a new registry key per package I want to keep installed, and made this
registry key part of the package checks. The install command runs the
setup program if needed, but always sets the registry key. The remove
command just removes the registry key but keeps the software installed.
This makes the package checks fail after removal of the package, so WPKG
marks it as no longer installed.

Hope that helps.

Greetings from Hamburg Lokstedt.

Regards,