[wpkg-users] ghostware?

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Tue Apr 11 21:02:29 CEST 2017

El mar, 11-04-2017 a las 10:12 +0200, Nils Thiele escribió:
> [...]
> >> wpkg-gp but since its developed in c++ its out of my league.
> >>
> > Hi Nils!
> >
> > did I miss something?
> >
> > I have wpkg-gp 0.17.16 in a non active directory environment, Windows 10
> > Professional, with a public samba share that works OK when I run wpkg-js
> > from cscript.exe but wpkg-gp is unable to find the share on startup.
> >
> > Same environment worked great for years... with Windows 7 since wpkg-gp
> > 0.15 (it was hosted on googlecode at that time). Right now I have few
> > Windows 7 machines and they are working good, but not even one Windows
> > 10. Right now I'm going from time to time to each machine and mannually
> > running a script for upgrading.
> >
> > I have not been able to get a working environment since windows 10 had
> > arrived; I was designing an Active Directory environment to this network
> > as a way to run wpkg-gp from group policy, but it would be really great
> > to have it running without Active Directory using wpkg-gp on startup or
> > on shutdown.
> >
> > May be I'm not using the latest binary as I cannot see a good place to
> > go and 'download the latest binary
> >
> > not in https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/
> > not in https://github.com/cleitet/wpkg-gp/wiki
> > and not in https://wpkg.org/WPKG-GP
> >
> > I think that would help to add some info somewere on where is the latest
> > version of wpkg-gp and where to report issues. There is not an 'official
> > github repo' for the wpkg-gp project, may be it would be a good idea to
> > have one with write access for a few devs.
> >
> > Honestly, I thought in line with the things expressed by Heiko, that
> > there was some pending work on wpkg-gp to be reliable on Windows 10.
> >

> > Another 'may be': may be I'm doing something wrong and it is only my
> > fault :-)
> >
> > Just in case my wpkg-gp.ini is:
> >
> > (removing comments and white lines)
> > grep -v ^# Wpkg-gp.ini|grep -v -e '^[[:space:]]*$'
> >
> > [WpkgConfig]
> > EnableViaLGP = 1
> > IgnoreGroupPolicy = 0
> > DisableAtBootUp = 0
> > WpkgCommand =\\someservername\wpkg\wpkg.js
> > WpkgVerbosity = 3
> > WpkgNetworkUsername =
> > WpkgNetworkPassword =
> > WpkgMaxReboots = 3
> > WpkgRebootPolicy = force
> > WpkgExecuteByNonAdmins = 1
> > WpkgExecuteByLocalUsers = 1
> > WpkgActivityIndicator = 1
> > TestConnectionHost = someservername
> > TestConnectionPort = 445
> > TestConnectionTries = 8
> > TestConnectionSleepBeforeRetry = 5
> > ConnectionTries = 10
> > ConnectionSleepBeforeRetry = 5
> > [EnvironmentVariables]
> >

> > Besides all of this, a big thanks to all for this excellent work!
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > Carlos Pasqualini

> Hi Carlos,
>
> How does the your Login name look like for the samba share? do you
> specify the workgroup? or is it really completely public without login?

Yes, we have a public repo, without login.

> My setup:
>
> WpkgNetworkUsername = WORKGROUP\wpkg
>
> The rest looks identical to our config file.
> I am using a basic ubuntu server with just a samba share as well, no AD.

I will try adding a username to see if there is any difference.

> The only difference is that we are using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and not
> pro, but i think i tested it with pro as well (atleast on one or two
> machines) before we got access to the ltsb release.
> Only problem i had with windows 10 was when i upgraded from windows 7 to
> windows 10 without a clean install. Then the gpe extension would not
> execute at all and i could not figure out what was causing it, but a
> fresh install fixed it.

mmm, this looks interesting to investigate.
I will try with fresh installs on a few upgraded machines and see of
there are any difference.
But some machines that came with Windows 10 had no difference.

> And i should add as well that we are using x64 only but this should be
> quite common and fastboot is disabled on all devices.

Since most of our machines have been upgraded to windows 10, we have a
mix here about versions and hardware, but all seems to react the same to
the change from Windows 7 to 10.

> You can find the latest release of my wpkg-gp mod and official releases
> here:
>
> https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9Eadi-crzpOVEtTM01aYm5YNm8

I did not understand why I cannot find the /release link on github

> Since i didn't change anything that should influence boot execution in
> my mod, both should work the same.
>
> I thought this was the official repo https://github.com/cleitet/wpkg-gp
> since the shutdown of google code?

Thanks!