[wpkg-users] PSExec and bitness...

Chris chris33489 at posteo.de
Thu Feb 13 15:03:53 CET 2020

hi Marco,

as far as I understand: The regular psexec.exe is a 32bit executable
that wraps around code for 32bit and 64bit systems.
So it works both on 32 and 64 bit systems and is usually the best
choice.

With one exception (that probably doesn't affect you): The very minimal
Windows Nano Server (which is primarily intended to be used in Docker
containers) does *not* contain a 32bit runtime anymore, it can *only*
execute 64 bit executables (whereas a regular Windows desktop/server
64bit system can execute both 32 and 64 bit executables). That's why
some of the sysinternals tools were released as pure 64bit, so that they
can also be used with Nano server.

So unless you use Nano Server you should be fine with the regular
psexec.exe.

- Chris