[wpkg-users] PSExec and bitness...

Chris chris33489 at posteo.de
Thu Feb 13 23:12:52 CET 2020

> Do they still install the 64-bit software, when run in 32-bit context?

psexec.exe (and most other sysinternals tools) are special in that
regard and not comparable to most other software. When you run the
regular psexec.exe on a 64-bit Windows system you get a 64-bit process.
When you run it on a 32-bit Windows you get a 32-bit process. That's
possible because most sysinternals tools are packaged in a special way:

"The solution I came up with is to store a utility’s 64-bit version
within its 32-bit image. When you run the 32-bit executable it detects
the Windows version, and if it’s running on 64-bit Windows, extracts and
executes the 64-bit image, waits for the 64-bit process to exit, and
then deletes the 64-bit image."

(from Mark Russinovich's Blog:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/multi-platform-images/ba-p/723421
)

With sysinternals tools, you really only need to care when you want to
run them on Windows Nano Server, which doesn't have a 32 bit runtime
anymore and thus can't start the 32-bit wrapper executable. That's afaik
the only case where you need the pure 64-bit psexec64.exe.