[wpkg-users] Updates without taskkill?

Andreas Schamanek schamane at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 15 23:17:34 CET 2021

Hi fellow wpkgers,

Due to the fact that Windows 10 does a suspend to disk even at the
so-called "shutdown" I created a scheduler task that runs WPKG every 8
hours. This works, however, the disadvantage is that some updates,
e.g. for Thunderbird, require a taskkill, e.g. I am using

   taskkill /F /IM Thunderbird.exe

Now since updates might run while a user is logged in and is actively
using the application killing it is not good :}

What approaches are you using to work around this?

In my particular setup it's actually only 2 programs that are affected
by this: Thunderbird and Firefox. Do you suggest that we should rely
on Mozilla Maintenance Service? I haven't tried it for some years,
now, because it didn't work back then on computers where users have no
administrative rights at all. I am afraid that hasn't changed.

--
-- Andreas

      :-)