[wpkg-users] Updates without taskkill?

Jürgen Depicker Jurgen.Depicker at let.be
Tue Mar 16 15:45:27 CET 2021

Hello,

I've been using WPKG for over ten years now I think, and am very happy about it.
I struggled with the same problems as you mentioned.  I used the taskkill approach for a (very) little while, but it is rather offensive on the user, so I created a less aggressive combo of WPKG, chocolatey and a python GUI script launched from a scheduled task (as admin, which normally has no user interaction, hence comes in RunAsRob :-)).

My users have no admin rights; this setup allows them to:
* check for new updates (manually or a few times a week by scheduled task)
* close the applications which will be updated and then press "update"
* run WPKG when they feel like

As a nice side effect, users following this flow will not be surprised by long boot times due to WPKG/choco providing them with updates.

You can find extra info on https://github.com/jupsoleil/RunAsAdmin - it can surely still be improved upon, but for me it works.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards/Meilleures salutations/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Jürgen