[debian-non-standard] debian on fsg - cannot connect to device after flashing though usb stick is blinking at boot

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 3 12:34:03 CET 2008

hathe at sidux.com schrieb:
> On Monday 03 March 2008 11:59:54 you wrote:
>> hathe at sidux.com schrieb:
>>
>> (...)

>>> Is it wrong only cause I'm using a different device name? lan0 is my
>>> first ethernet device. So are the settings correct?
>> How do you know lan0 is your ethernet name if you can't connect to it?
>> Unless you did some tricks with udev, your network interfaces will have
>> ethX names.
>
> lan0 is the ethernet device on my local pc here, and yes I
> changed  /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
> This device works fine in my local net using dhcp or static ip, I just want to
> know if the configuration above fits the 192.168.111.188/255.255.255.192
> network.
> With "device" in subject I meant my fsg-3, I cannot connect to the fsg-3
> device after flashing.

So you want to use this:

iface lan0 inet static
         address 192.168.111.187
         broadcast 192.168.111.191
         netmask 255.255.255.192
         network 192.168.111.128

for your PC? Great to know, just after 4 posts!

Yes, with these settings, you should be able to connect to the FSG if it
has an address from the same sumnet, and that address is not
192.168.111.187.

If you can't connect, see also:
http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe#Troubleshooting

>> Or you did connect using a USB-serial cable? If yes, what's the output
>> of "ifconfig -a" - could you paste it here?
>>

>> (...)

>>> As I said I don't have a serial port anymore and I already use such a
>>> USB-serial cable for my desktop.
>> Sorry, I don't understand your question then.
>> If you're already using your USB-serial cable, why do you ask if you can
>> use it?
>
> Cause I'd need two of them, one connected to the fsg, one to my local pc and I
> don't know if its possile to connect two of those adapters.

You can connect as many of these cables as long as you have free slots.

But I'm still not sure what you want to do.

FSG-3 doesn't have an easily accessible serial port (it has a 3.3V
serial port which will only work with special cables; normal serial port
uses 12V).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org