[debian-non-standard] debian on fsg - cannot connect to device after flashing though usb stick is blinking at boot

hathe at sidux.com hathe at sidux.com
Mon Mar 3 12:50:07 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 12:34:03 Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> hathe at sidux.com schrieb:
> > On Monday 03 March 2008 11:59:54 you wrote:
> >> hathe at sidux.com schrieb:
> >>
> >> (...)

> >> How do you know lan0 is your ethernet name if you can't connect to it?
> >> Unless you did some tricks with udev, your network interfaces will have
> >> ethX names.
> >
> > lan0 is the ethernet device on my local pc here, and yes I
> > changed  /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
> > This device works fine in my local net using dhcp or static ip, I just
> > want to know if the configuration above fits the
> > 192.168.111.188/255.255.255.192 network.
> > With "device" in subject I meant my fsg-3, I cannot connect to the fsg-3
> > device after flashing.
>
> So you want to use this:
>
> iface lan0 inet static
>          address 192.168.111.187
>          broadcast 192.168.111.191
>          netmask 255.255.255.192
>          network 192.168.111.128
>
> for your PC? Great to know, just after 4 posts!

I'm sorry, my first post was a bit misleading, I shouldn't write posts when I
should sleep....

> Yes, with these settings, you should be able to connect to the FSG if it
> has an address from the same sumnet, and that address is not
> 192.168.111.187.

thanks for that info, so problem is somewhere else

> If you can't connect, see also:
> http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe#Troubleshooting

will do that, thanks

> >> Or you did connect using a USB-serial cable? If yes, what's the output
> >> of "ifconfig -a" - could you paste it here?
> >>

> >> (...)

> >> Sorry, I don't understand your question then.
> >> If you're already using your USB-serial cable, why do you ask if you can
> >> use it?
> >
> > Cause I'd need two of them, one connected to the fsg, one to my local pc
> > and I don't know if its possile to connect two of those adapters.
>
> You can connect as many of these cables as long as you have free slots.
>
> But I'm still not sure what you want to do.

I'd like to build a serial connection over USB -  so one adapter connected to
a usb port of the fsg, one connected to a usb port on my local computer and
both adapters connected. That means I have to connect those two serial ports
somehow and my question is: Is that possible, could that work? If yes how?

> FSG-3 doesn't have an easily accessible serial port (it has a 3.3V
> serial port which will only work with special cables; normal serial port
> uses 12V).

I have a self built 3.3V serial cable (made from a old mobile phone usb
adapter), but just want to use that option if reflashing does not work...