[debian-non-standard] debian on fsg - cannot connect to device after flashing though usb stick is blinking at boot

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 3 12:59:58 CET 2008

hathe at sidux.com schrieb:

(...)

> I'd like to build a serial connection over USB -  so one adapter connected to
> a usb port of the fsg, one connected to a usb port on my local computer and
> both adapters connected. That means I have to connect those two serial ports
> somehow and my question is: Is that possible, could that work? If yes how?

No, this won't work.

You can't connect the USB ports directly (unless you have some sort of a
converter / special device).

You need one of such cables:

1) 3.3V serial (FSG-3) - converter - PC, 12V, serial
2) 3.3V serial (FSG-3) - converter - PC, USB
3) USB (FSG-3) - converter - PC, 12V, serial
4) USB (FSG-3) - converter - PC, USB

I'm not sure if 4) exists.

With 3) and 4), you won't do a low-level recovery - i.e., change
bootloader/RedBoot settings etc. - with these, you can only connect to a
working operating system.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org