[debian-non-standard] Running debian on Asus wl500g premium

Jose Legido jose at legido.com
Thu Dec 16 16:55:11 CET 2010

On 16/12/10 15:43, Frank Loeffler wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:04:00AM +0100, Jose Legido wrote:
>> I'm trying to put debian into my asus wl500g premium but don't boot from usb.
>>
>> I have downloaded:
>> openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs-for_2nd_stage_process.trx
>> debian-lenny-mipsel-2010-Jan-31.tar.bz2
>>
>> From http://155.158.112.226/lenny_mipsel/
>>
>> I put debian files into usb stick and make:
>> tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/sda1
>> in /dev/sda2 partition and also tried into /dev/sda1 partition but
>> router didn't boot debian usb-stick, always boot openwrt.
>>
>> Now, I can't flash the kernel because when I reset router to make
>> tftp, it didn't response from 192.168.1.1.
>>
>> Thanks!
> I don't see a question here, but let me guess it's: how can I get the
> Asus to boot from usb?
>
> First of all: I am not an expert. With that in mind, it doesn't surprise
> me that openwrt is booted every time if you didn't flash anything.

Excuse me if I explain very bad in English, sorry. My problem is how can
I boot debian from usb stick

I have flashed router with:
openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs-for_2nd_stage_process.trx

> openwrt isn't configured to look for the usb stick during boot and boot
> from there.
In http://155.158.112.226/lenny_mipsel/README.txt:

- fstab is configured to use swap on /dev/sda1 and "/" partition on /dev/sda2

> Which leads to your second observation with the missing
> response when you try to flash. Does your router (in openwrt) have that
> ip address?
Sorry, when reset router has another ip, this part is solved.
>  If it does havbe another one, try that one. How did you test
> the response (ping, tftp try, ...)? What exactly did you do for the
> reset? Are you sure the router is 'ready' to be flashed?
>
> Frank

THAAAANKS!