[sheepdog-users] How to enable cache?

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:04:45 CET 2012

On 12/15/2012 12:20 AM, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> I've been reading this page:
>   https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Journaling
>
> If I run
>   sheep -j dir=/path/to/dir,size=256
> the daemon doesn't start, but I get 'journal_file0' written inside the
> directory I chose.

Could you add '-d' to the sheep and paste out here sheep.log

> 'man sheep' doesn't mention the 'j' option but 'w' or '--enable-cache'.

journaling isn't documented yet.

> sheep --enable-cache 256,writethrough /mnt/sheepdog/
>   sheep: unrecognized option '--enable-cache'
>   Try `sheep --help' for more information.
>
> sheep -w 256,writethrough /mnt/sheepdog/
>   invalid cache type: 256

Should be 'sheep -w object:size=256' which enables object cache on
Sheepd server.

And 'qemu -device if=sheepdog:image,cache=MODE' MODE can be writethrough
or wirteback to control what kind of cache people are interested.