[sheepdog-users] [Sheepdog][Libvirt]Test boot VMs from sheepdog volumes in Libvirt

harryxiyou harryxiyou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 05:14:57 CET 2013

Hi all,

We can get "Boot VMs from sheepdog volumes in Libvirt" way
from https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Libvirt like following.

  a,  prepare a file containing an XML domain description

    $ cat > sheepdog.xml
    <domain type='qemu'>
      <name>testvm</name>
      <memory>1048576</memory>
      <os>
        <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
      </os>
      <devices>
        <disk type='network'>
          <source protocol="sheepdog" name="testvdi"/>
          <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
        </disk>
        <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes'/>
      </devices>
    </domain>

  b,  boot from testvdi with virsh

    $ virsh create sheepdog.xml

  c,  connect to a VNC console of the running VM

    $ vncviewer localhost

I have some following questions about up three steps.

1, Before a or b(up boot step) step, should we have to install our OS
into 'testvdi'?
That is to say, we have to install OS from os.iso file into 'testvdi',
which should use
'qemu-system-x86_64' command to install OS, right?

2, Before this test, shoul we have to build Sheepdog, QEMU, Libvirt environment?

3, This is the storage online management in Libvirt, right?

4, This test just test the codes Morita take a patch named "add
network disk support"
for Libvirt, which is located here:
http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=036ad5052b43fe9f0d197e89fd16715950408e1d
and also test Sheepdog driver for QEMU, right?

5, If i installed a 32bits OS to testvdi, should i modify
      <os>
        <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
      </os>
to be
      <os>
        <type arch='x86'>hvm</type>
      </os>
, right?

6, The step c (up boot step), which is
 $ vncviewer localhost
Actually, i am not clear about this 'localhost'. Why should we link
localhost but other ip addresses?

Could anyone please give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei