[sheepdog-users] [Sheepdog][Libvirt]Test boot VMs from sheepdog volumes in Libvirt

Gao Yongwei itxx00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 11:14:28 CET 2013

2013/2/1 harryxiyou <harryxiyou at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> We can get "Boot VMs from sheepdog volumes in Libvirt" way
> from https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Libvirt like following.
>
>   a,  prepare a file containing an XML domain description
>
>     $ cat > sheepdog.xml
>     <domain type='qemu'>
>       <name>testvm</name>
>       <memory>1048576</memory>
>       <os>
>         <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
>       </os>
>       <devices>
>         <disk type='network'>
>           <source protocol="sheepdog" name="testvdi"/>
>           <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
>         </disk>
>         <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes'/>
>       </devices>
>     </domain>
>
>   b,  boot from testvdi with virsh
>
>     $ virsh create sheepdog.xml
>
>   c,  connect to a VNC console of the running VM
>
>     $ vncviewer localhost
>
> I have some following questions about up three steps.
>
> 1, Before a or b(up boot step) step, should we have to install our OS
> into 'testvdi'?

As I know, you should install an OS in the disk,or cannot boot from a
'NULL' disk.you know what i mean.

> That is to say, we have to install OS from os.iso file into 'testvdi',
> which should use
> 'qemu-system-x86_64' command to install OS, right?

To install an OS, you could use 'virt-install' ,or use the virt-manager GUI
tool.

> 2, Before this test, shoul we have to build Sheepdog, QEMU, Libvirt
> environment?

Yes, you must build the environment,either from source codes or from
 packages.

> 3, This is the storage online management in Libvirt, right?

later version of libvirt support managing sheepdog storage,use may have a
search at libvirt.org.

> 4, This test just test the codes Morita take a patch named "add
> network disk support"
> for Libvirt, which is located here:
>
> http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=036ad5052b43fe9f0d197e89fd16715950408e1d
> and also test Sheepdog driver for QEMU, right?

I think just test libvirt environment..

 5, If i installed a 32bits OS to testvdi, should i modify
>       <os>
>         <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
>       </os>
> to be
>       <os>
>         <type arch='x86'>hvm</type>
>       </os>
> , right?

If  arch='x86_64', then this configuration support both x86 and x64.

> 6, The step c (up boot step), which is
>  $ vncviewer localhost
> Actually, i am not clear about this 'localhost'. Why should we link
> localhost but other ip addresses?

As localhost allways singed to 127.0.0.1 ,or you can use 127.0.0.1 instead
of a name like 'locallhost'.

Could anyone please give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance ;-)