[sheepdog-users] IRC meeting at Friday, 2013.6.7

Joseph Glanville joseph at cloudscaling.com
Wed Jun 5 12:40:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Liu Yuan <namei.unix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    We are going to meet up in IRC channel, #sheepdog at freenode, to
> have a live discussion. The topics would be
>
>  - what the current developers are doing and plans to do
>  - stuff about the new organization
>  - anything you suggests and are interested
>
> The meeting time is supposed be at 16:00 CST China time this Friday,
> that would be 17:00 for Japan, 9:00 for Italy.
>
> Anyone is free to join the meeting, showing up with a topic or a
> question, or just sitting quiet to see what is going on.
>
> For suggesting any topics, please directly reply to this email. And for
> developers that want to document what he is doing/planning to do, please
> replies in here too. Then before the meeting, we can have do a
> preparation note each other.
>
> Thanks,
> Yuan
> --

I would like to get some discussion around some form of library
(libsheepdog perhaps)
The idea would be to enable other C programs to interact with sheepdog
via the TCP interface.
Possibly come of collie could be broken out into this library as well.

Things I think that need to be discussed:
Memory management model, memory pools/allocation etc.
Threading vs Async. How can we nicely interact with threaded programs
or provide and async interface that is compatible with different event
loops.
Exposed interfaces, what should metadata operations, read/write to
objects look like.
Convenience wrappers, object iterators, tree data structures for
representing VDIs etc.

I have started thinking about some of these things but some input
would be highly appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't have adequate time to build the library myself
but I will work on it in my spare time.
I can also help write native Python bindings.