[sheepdog-users] Questions About Sheepdog Block Device (SBD)

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 22:33:38 CEST 2014

I'm thinking about iscsi and qemu-nbd compared to this solution.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't use iscsi yet:
with iscsi I can "expose" a service on a node and connect to it from
another server (front-end).
This will generate a block device on the front-end server.
* I can also connect on localhost.
* This is very similar to me to nbd-server/nbd-client (not to confuse with
qemu-nbd).

By qemu-nbd I can obtain a /dev/nbd0 device on a cluser node (not on a
front-end server).

sbd behaves as qemu-nbd: I get a /dev/sbd on one of the cluster nodes.

What's the main differences between sbd and qemu-nbd?