[sheepdog-users] sheepdog replica number question

Walid Moghrabi walid.moghrabi at lezard-visuel.com
Mon May 5 18:11:25 CEST 2014

Well, this is mainly because some frontends (such as ProxMox when used in conjunction with Sheepdog as a backend storage) doesn't provide the ability to change that value from the GUI at VM creation.
So, if you want another number of copies, you have to create the vdi first, then the VM with no hard drive (but you can't so you create a dummy hard drive), then modify the VM to delete the dummy drive and attach your previously created vdi.

Also, since Sheepdog is very flexible, it is not rare to begin your cluster with only 2 nodes where you usually format your cluster with -c 2 so that you're doing pure replication between nodes then later, you add new nodes and in that case, you would be happy to renumber your whole cluster to -c 3 so that every vdi you already created create a new copy and every new vdi is -c 3 by default so that you don't have to thing to create them with the good number copy (especially when your frontend is a bit dumb for that job since it doesn't provide you with the functions you need and you have to waste time with workarounds).

Regards,

Walid