[sheepdog-users] About bundling libraries (at least one library isa-l)

Marcin Mirosław marcin at mejor.pl
Thu Oct 16 15:35:24 CEST 2014

Hi!
I'd like to talk about bundling libraries into sheepdog. It has
advantages and disadvantages, at this moment comes to my mind:
+ stable api, upstream doesn't need to do anything when new version of
library brings big changes
+- new version of library can bring performance changes (both
performance can be increased or decreased;))
- upstream should track upstream of bundled library to catch stability,
security fixes

There are some stories about soft which bundles some libraries, often it
ends with removing such soft from repositories due to security bugs in
bundled libs. IMHO (as sysadmin) it's better to not build selfhosted
soft platform (which brings to my mind behavior of php developers), it's
better to add new dependency for sheepdog (I mean dependency on isa-l).
You don't bundle e.g. gcc, userspace-rcu, pkgconfig, fuse and many more.
What is your opinion?
Marcin