[sheepdog-users] Sheepdog Block Device SPOF and kernel log size

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:29:53 CEST 2015

At Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:15:08 +0200,
Michał Chybowski wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've set up a Sheepdog cluster on 3 machines (as data hosts) and 1
> "client" machine, on which Sheepdog Block Devices will be used. I'd like
> to associate them with more than one sheep daemon - is there any
> possible way of doing this? I want to avoid death of services using SBD
>
> Also, my kern.log (using Debian wheezy) is growing extremely fast due to
> SBD module logging almost every action. How can I avoid this?

If you can use iSCSI interface of sheepdog, you can avoid SPOF because
it supports multipath:
https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog/wiki/General-protocol-support-(iSCSI-and-NBD)

Recent talk of Ishizaki-san has a brief description about the
multipath mechanism:
http://events.linuxfoundation.jp/sites/events/files/slides/COJ2015_Sheepdog_20150604.pdf

I think you are using linux as a client. We are testing the iSCSI
feature with open-iscsi initiator. Therefore you would be able to use
the initiator in your environment.

# the description of multipath setup is still under construction. I'll
# prepare it later. tests/functional/097 has a way of multipath setup

Thanks,
Hitoshi