[Sheepdog] [ANNOUNCE] Sheepdog 0.2.0 released

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Jan 4 08:30:30 CET 2011

At Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:33:43 -0800,
Serge Leschinsky wrote:

> Morita,
>
> On 01/02/2011 11:26 PM, MORITA Kazutaka wrote:
> >   - support VMs running outside the sheepdog cluster
> >   - support live migration
>
> I'd like to test these new features. May I ask you about the proper test-cases
> for them? I believe that I have an idea about live migration (not sure it's
> correct though) but I definitely have no understanding of "VMs running outside
> the sheepdog cluster".

Thanks for testing!

- live migration

A is the source host, B is the destination host, 'test' is the vdi name of Sheepdog:

1. Start the VM on A

 $ qemu sheepdog:test

2. Start the VM on B with '-incoming' option

 $ qemu sheepdog:test -incoming tcp:0:4444

3. Do migration in the qemu monitor on A

 (qemu) migrate -d tcp:B:4444

See also:
  http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Migration

- run VMs outside the cluster

A is one of the Sheepdog nodes, 'test' is the vdi name of Sheepdog.
Then run:

 $ qemu sheepdog:A:7000:test

'7000' is a port number the sheep daemon uses.

This syntax would be changed in future, because the host A can be a
single point of failure.  I think of passing multiple hosts through
environment variables like RDB.