[Sheepdog] Sheepdog 0.3.0 schedule and 0.4.0 plan

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Tue Nov 15 08:40:18 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:05:33AM +0900, MORITA Kazutaka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finished all of the cluster driver implementation we planed, so I
> think of releasing 0.3.0 this weekend.  If you have pending patches
> for 0.3.0, please send them until Nov 18th.  I'll spend this week
> testing Sheepdog.
>
> The planned big features for 0.4.0 are as follows:
>
>  - add write-cache support
>    http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/sheepdog/2011-October/001480.html

That description sounds a bit odd.  I've started hacking support on
a traditional writeback cache - that is data still gets written out
using normal write on all storage nodes, but we can skip the O_SYNC
flag.  Then the client sends a cache flush command and we do a syncfs
system call on all nodes to make sure data is on stable store from
.bdrv_co_flush.

I've implemented the client side, and a local implementation of the
cache flushing, but so far I've failed finding a way to forward it
to each node that has an object for the given image exactly once.

If you're interested I can send the current WIP patches for this out to
the list.