[Sheepdog] Backup/Images

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Sat Oct 8 19:01:56 CEST 2011

At Sat, 8 Oct 2011 11:12:00 +0800,
Yibin Shen wrote:
> we have talked about similar topic in the past weeks.
>
> IMO, let sheepdog support local backup image will promote the availability effectively,
> the local backup image is located in the machine where vm runs,
> then writeback policy is adopted just like what qcow/qcow2's backup image do.
>
> the storage size issue can be solved through decrease the number of copies.
>
> benefits:
> 1)network traffic will be reduced, which will also make corosync work more stable.
> 2)even whole sheepdog cluster crashed, the local image can still provide service.
>
> tradeoffs:
> 1)stronge consistency is damaged for I/O is not triggered synchronously now.
>   to solve this problem, at least we need maintain a journal for local backup image.
> 2)migration of vm will became much more complicated.
>
> so, maybe this is only a transitionary solution before sheepdog archive industry available standard.

Someone suggested a bit similar idea before.  The idea is:

 - A VM use a local mmaped file as a disk cache of a Sheepdog volume.
 - Write requests are regarded as completed when the data are written
   to the mmap address (write-back).
 - If the VM sends a sync request, its response will be blocked until
   the data is replicated to multiple storage nodes.

I think this improves a performance significantly, especially when
network latency is high (e.g. WAN environment).  The data consistency
is not a problem if sync requests ensure that the data is replicated.

To support this idea, we need to support a write-back mode in
Sheepdog; we need to add a sync operation to Sheepdog protocols and
implement bdrv_co_flush() in the Sheepdog QEMU block driver.