[Sheepdog] Backup/Images

Yibin Shen zituan at taobao.com
Sat Oct 8 05:12:00 CEST 2011

we have talked about similar topic in the past weeks.

IMO, let sheepdog support local backup image will promote the availability effectively,
the local backup image is located in the machine where vm runs,
then writeback policy is adopted just like what qcow/qcow2's backup image do.

the storage size issue can be solved through decrease the number of copies.

benefits:
1)network traffic will be reduced, which will also make corosync work more stable.
2)even whole sheepdog cluster crashed, the local image can still provide service.

tradeoffs:
1)stronge consistency is damaged for I/O is not triggered synchronously now.
  to solve this problem, at least we need maintain a journal for local backup image.
2)migration of vm will became much more complicated.

so, maybe this is only a transitionary solution before sheepdog archive industry available standard.

Yibin Shen