[sheepdog] [Openstack-dev][Sheepdog]Add a new driver for Openstack Cinder like Sheepdog volumes

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 10:27:20 CET 2013

At Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:14:42 +0800,
harryxiyou wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM, MORITA Kazutaka
> <morita.kazutaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At Fri, 18 Jan 2013 22:56:38 +0800,
> [...]
> >
> > The answer depends on the protocol between QEMU and HLFS.  What is
> > used for accessing HLFS volumes from QEMU?  Is it iSCSI, NFS, or
> > something else?
> >

> Actually, we just realize the block driver interfaces QEMU provided.
> You can see our
> patch from
> http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/source/browse/trunk/hlfs/patches/hlfs_driver_for_qemu.patch
>
> And what about Sheepdog? What is used for accessing Sheepdog volumes from QEMU?
> Is it iSCSI, NFS, or something else?

Sheepdog uses an own protocol, and I think your file system is similar.

IIUC, what you need to do are:
 1. modify libvirt so that you can specify your file system as a QEMU
    disk
 2. add a volume driver to Cinder to handle your file system

You don't need to modify Nova.  You can use
nova.virt.libvirt.volume.LibvirtNetVolumeDriver as a libvirt volume
driver like sheepdog and rbd.