[sheepdog] [libvirt] [Libvirt][Sheepdog]Sheepdog pool/volume storage driver for libvirt problem

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 18:18:54 CET 2013

On 01/31/2013 04:59 AM, harryxiyou wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> There's two aspects to storage management in libvirt.
>
> Eric, very thanks for your perfectly answers ;-)
>
> [...]
>> But without at least one online user (qemu), it
>> doesn't make sense to worry about offline management in libvirt (what
>> good is allocating a volume if you can't make any guest populate or read
>> from that volume).  That's why we are telling you to focus on getting
>> your new protocol accepted into qemu first.
>>
> Actually, i also cannot quite understand why we focus on getting new
> protocol accepted into qemu first. Could you please expain it clearer?
> Thanks in advance ;-)

Libvirt exists to manage existing hypervisor capabilities.  It makes no
sense for libvirt to be able to create storage volumes for a new
protocol if there are no hypervisors that are also able to support that
storage format.  So until qemu can target your new storage protocol, it
doesn't make sense to have libvirt support it either.