[Stgt-devel] [Scst-devel] Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo
Mon Mar 10 11:48:09 CET 2008

FUJITA Tomonori schrieb:

(...)

>> But it looks that there is still this issue then - so it may fail sometimes:
>>
>>   there is a race
>>   between the first and second operations (that is, you need to peform
>>   the second right after the first, before the initiator tries to
>>   connect). I'm fine with changing the default state to 'offline'.
>>
>> ?
>
> Then, at least, try that to see it works for you. After that, you can
> say something like, it works for me, but I want the default state
> 'offline'.

No, it doesn't work for me because of the race mentioned above, or,
described once again, below - this is what happens to the target and
initiator if we want to restart the target (i.e., target software
upgrade or target machine restart, because of kernel, hardware upgrade
etc.):

   TARGET                        INITIATOR
* target running                initiator connected
* data transferred              data transferred
* target restarted              initiator tries to reconnect
* target not yet configured,    initiator tries to reconnect
   but listens already
* target failed ini connection  initiator reconnected, but
                                 was rejected (no such target),
                                 IO error
* the target is configured      too late to recover

Note: I tested it with tgt-20071227, as it was the latest tar.bz2
package available - so iptables workaround was still needed.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org