[Stgt-devel] [RFC] target configuration tool

Mike Christie michaelc
Wed Mar 19 16:56:52 CET 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I would like to present a tgtd iSCSI target configuration tool.
>
> An example config file for configuring targets can look like below:
>

> include /etc/tgt/temp/*.conf
>
> <target iqn.2007-04.com.example:san.monitoring>
>     backing-store /dev/san/monitoring
>
>     # if no "incominguser" is specified, it is not used
>     incominguser backup secretpass12
>
>     # defaults to ALL if no "initiator-address" is specified
>     initiator-address 192.168.1.2
> </target>
>
> <target iqn.2007-02.com.example:san.xen1>
>     backing-store /dev/san/xen1-disk1 # LUN1
>     backing-store /dev/san/xen1-disk2 # LUN2
>     backing-store /dev/san/xen1-disk2 # LUN3
>
>     initiator-address 192.168.1.2     # Allowed IP
>     initiator-address 192.168.5.6     # Allowed IP
>
>     incominguser user1 secretpass12
>     incominguser user2 secretpass23
>
>     outgoinguser userA secretpassA
> </target>
>
> <target iqn.2007-02.com.example:san.xen2>
>     backing-store /dev/san/xen2
> </target>
>

> You can find more info on http://wpkg.org/TGT-admin and download the
> source code by pointing wget to http://wpkg.org/tgt-admin
>

> Other features I'd like to implement are:
>
> * change target configuration if the target is already online and its
> config was changed
> * add a proper /etc/init.d/tgt script
> * dumping current tgtd configuration
> * support other target types (not only iSCSI) - unfortunately, I don't
> have any other hardware

Hey Tomasz,

It is looking pretty good. I will have more constructive comments as I
try it out more, but wanted to say thanks for doing this.

To distinguish between iscsi specific or other target type specific
params do you think it would be good to do something like:

<target-type iscsi>

	# setting something like CHAP here would work like IET's
	# ietd.conf
	incominguser user1 secretpass12

	<target iqn.2007-04.com.example:san.monitoring>

	# would we set values like iscsi's MaxRecvDataSegmentLength here ?
	</target>

	<target iqn.2007-04.com.example:san.monitoring>
	</target>
</target-type iscsi>