[stgt] make initiators "rescan" the device?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 08:09:22 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM, FUJITA Tomonori
<fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:26:58 +0100
> Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

>> Is it possible to send a reset/rescan to all initiators connected to a
>> given target, which would trigger the initiator to rescan the device
>> (and its size)?
>
> A scsi device can notify initiators of such event via UA (unit
> attention), google "CAPACITY DATA HAS CHANGED". tgt has the mechanism
> to handle UA so it's easy to support it. However, on the initiator
> side, Linux doesn't detect such event automatically.
> --

I guess this is dependent on the transport, but at least for iSCSI the
way to do this by sending an AsynchronousRequest to the initiator.
To send to connected initiators when a lun changes in size,
also to all connected (and affected) initiators if the lun masking
changes for the target.

Are you saying that Linux initiators do not understand AsyncRequest PDUs ?

regards
ronnie sahlberg