[stgt] Why "Microsoft iscsi" cannot work well with stgt (but it worked well with ietd)?

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Feb 13 02:33:24 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:57:16 +0800
Cheng Renquan <crquan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Albert Pauw <albert.pauw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe that LUN 0 for the controller is more or less hardcoded.
> > Yes, I have noticed this over a year ago and reported it here, I think.
>
> I've compared and found the difference between ietd and tgtd:
>
> 1. ietd returned "REPORT LUN (0xa0)" with only 1 LUN (LUN id 1, Type Disk),
>    while tgtd report 2 LUNs, tgtd has the LUN 0 with "IET SCSI Controller"
>    as the first LUN (LUN id 0), and "LUN 1" Type Disk;

FYI, I wrote both IET and stgt. So I understand the difference well.

> Since ietd reported only 1 LUN that worked well, why tgtd should
> report the superfluous
> "IET SCSI Controller" as the "LUN 0"? Why the "LUN 0" cannot be
> deleted with tgtadm?

'controller' lun 0 enables me to have the better design than IET.

What do you mean 'Why "Microsoft iscsi" cannot work well with stgt'?

With tgt, Windows complains about the unknown device about
'controller'. But once you tell Windows that you don't want to install
any driver for it and ignore it, then Windows will never
complain. Then you can use other logical units.