[stgt] Why "Microsoft iscsi" cannot work well with stgt (but it worked well with ietd)?

Cheng Renquan crquan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 04:52:05 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM, FUJITA Tomonori
<fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> With tgt, Windows complains about the unknown device about
> 'controller'. But once you tell Windows that you don't want to install
> any driver for it and ignore it, then Windows will never
> complain. Then you can use other logical units.

How do you mean by "don't want to install any driver for it and ignore it"?
Have you tested and verified that?

I have tested within WindowsXP and Windows2003, after iSCSI Logon, the
"IET Controller" (LUN 0) will be displayed in "Other unknown devices"
in "Device Manager"; while the "IET Virtual Disk" (LUN 1) displayed as
known device in "Disk Drives" category, which is the same as logon
from IET;
but at this time the "IET Virtual Disk" volume didn't appear in the
"Disk Management", thus not usable,

However, disable the "IET Controller" or uninstall it both cannot make
the "IET Virtual Disk" appear into "Disk Management", I have no idea
how to debug this problem, I never read the SCSI standards, maybe
"microsoft iscsi" didn't conform standards to handle this type of
device,

> 'controller' lun 0 enables me to have the better design than IET.
How do you mean by "better design"? Is the controller mandatory? Why?
Maybe better conform SCSI standards?

BTW, I want to read the SCSI standards (seems only www.t10.org have
them), but t10.org seems not willing to publicly publish the SCSI
standards, I have no permission to access those standards documents,
is that true? Why that organization cannot published those documents
like the RFCs published by IETF?

Thanks,

-- Cheng Renquan