[stgt] [GIT PULL] Proposal for build system makeover

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Wed Sep 30 13:33:56 CEST 2009

On 09/30/2009 12:05 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:21:18 +0200
> Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
>
>> Tomo-san, Mike,
>>
>> I am submitting a humble proposal for a makeover of the build system, in
>> an effort to "clean up" a bit before a 1.0 release which is probably set
>> to happen soon.
>
> I'd like to release 1.0 after implementing persistent reservation.

Is there an ETA on this?

>> My motivation for this is to facilitate RPM builds. I understand that
>> you are not inclined to include an RPM spec in the tgt tree yourself,
>> however I would ask you to please pull the other patches into the tree
>> if you find them useful.
>
> Please just send patches. Reviewing changes via web is not easy at
> all.

Well since they Makefiles have been almost completely rewritten, I
figured reviewing the whole file would be easier than going through
diffs. Nonetheless, I'm sending all three, even though you're probably
not interested in the third one (the spec file).

> From a quick look, I don't think that changing Makefile to install the
> init script is good because that such Makefile doesn't work nicely for
> other distributions such as debian.

Care to elaborate? Since when does Debian not use init scripts? Plus, if
one wanted to use tgt on Debian (in a sensible fashion), one would
require a build system for Debian packaging (read: debian/rules,
debian/control etc.) anyhow, and that currently does not exist. So I
don't see your point.

Cheers,
Florian