[stgt] [GIT PULL] Proposal for build system makeover

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Sep 30 15:13:13 CEST 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:33:56 +0200
Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:

> On 09/30/2009 12:05 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:21:18 +0200
> > Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Tomo-san, Mike,
> >>
> >> I am submitting a humble proposal for a makeover of the build system, in
> >> an effort to "clean up" a bit before a 1.0 release which is probably set
> >> to happen soon.
> >
> > I'd like to release 1.0 after implementing persistent reservation.
>
> Is there an ETA on this?

Not, but I hope to implement something this year.

> > From a quick look, I don't think that changing Makefile to install the
> > init script is good because that such Makefile doesn't work nicely for
> > other distributions such as debian.
>
> Care to elaborate? Since when does Debian not use init scripts? Plus, if
> one wanted to use tgt on Debian (in a sensible fashion), one would
> require a build system for Debian packaging (read: debian/rules,
> debian/control etc.) anyhow, and that currently does not exist. So I
> don't see your point.

First, Debian has tgt package:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/tgt

(it's quite old though, I guess that they still use IET)

Secondary, Debian init script is written in their own way. So your
init script doesn't work. If you change Makefile to install your init
script, Debian packaging can't use Makefile; Debian packaging needs a
diff against Makefile.

Check out this:

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tgt/tgt_20070924-1.diff.gz

Debian's Makefile does: