[stgt] tgt-admin and a -C, --control-port argument

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Apr 6 07:48:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:35:25 +1000
ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont think that is viable for Chandra.
>
> TGTD is pretty limited performance wise with its central eventloop. On
> a many-core machine with a lot of memory
> the central event loop quickly becomes a bottleneck.

Can you have the performance analysis with tools such as perf?

The most of network processing happens in kernel space. The I/O
processing too. They are not related with the number of user
processes.

Yeah, tgtd would be a bottleneck but there are lots of other possible
bottlenecks.

> For these usecases you really want to run multiple instances of tgtd.
> In particular if you have a high-end storage subsystem attached
> that can deliver high enough throughput.
>
> Perhaps have one instance of TGTD for each 10GbE adapter. Perhaps one
> instance of TGTD for every 2 cores.

As I said yesterday, I think that we need to think about using
multiple threads for targets (or initiators) if necessary. But we need
the evidence first.