[stgt] tgt-admin behavior with multiple targets and same account name

Tomasz Chmielewski tch at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 1 23:30:23 CET 2010

On 01.03.2010 23:00, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:

> Can somebody tell me why it is implemented that way (instead of using
> the existing account) ?
>
> I couldn't find anything in the SPECS (RFC 3270) about multiple targets
> having the same username/password. Please send me a snippet if it is
> otherwise. (Even if that is the case, shouldn't we be failing the second
> operation instead of silently removing the old one ?)

It's not defined in RFC, as it is how it's currently handled in
tgt-admin (as it turns out, not very well).

I wrongly assumed that if users will be used, they will be different for
each target.
This is because we can't add another user with the same name; there is
also (I think?) no way to change user password without removing the user
and adding it again.

So removing the user before it's added sounded like a good way to handle it.

The fix would be to check what users each target have and only
remove/update the user when needed.
Note that it will be still impossible to have two targets with the same
users, but using a different password.

I will post a patch at the end of the week.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org